Monday, June 5, 2017

Becky the Chicken Lives

We stick together and can see it through 'Cause you've got a friend in me. You've got a friend in me...Randy Newman

This post is for Uncle Dave and Aunt Jane.... Becky, the chicken is alive and well and somehow made it to Tennessee. Ha!   Actually, last year when we butchered our chickens, Scott kept three of them alive with plans to butcher them later.  Only one hen made it through the winter and since the beginning of May she's made a new friend...Bear.   Bear and her are constantly hanging around each other so I decided to go ahead and name her...what else, but Becky.  I've come to  the conclusion that chickens are social and in need of companionship, like us.  Becky sticks near Bear, living primarily on our porch and in our planters by the back door.  I've even caught her sleeping next to Bear.  She's also laying eggs, about one every other day.  I don't think chickens are too smart though. The other day she layed an egg right on the side walk and when it landed, it cracked on the cement. Interesting. The flip side to having a chicken as a pet is waking up every morning to dirt on your sidewalk and poop on your porch. I haven't had the heart to put her back in the chicken house. 















No comments: